Monday, September 14, 2009

When You're Not Expecting To Be Expecting...



I'm usually quite diplomatic when anyone asks if we are having more children. I make a point to say, "We're just taking it one child at a time." This is true, however, we've always said amongst ourselves two, maybe three and NEVER foresaw four. Needless to say, we were utterly surprised and shocked when we found out we were having another baby just weeks ago.

Fear set in.

Can we responsibly parent another child? Can we afford another child? Our lives, ideas, and expectations for our family will forever be changed. Our lifestyle will change. With each child, the opportunities we can offer our children decrease. We'll need a new car and eventually, house! Will my body ever recover? Fear...all the thoughts that would keep any rational person from stepping beyond their conceived capacity for embracing the concept of welcoming another life.

I sat in church the day after I shared the news with my husband, both of us still in utter shock, and felt the familiar sensation I had with each of my other three children in early pregnancy. I felt hot from a building full of bodies. I felt light-headed and queasy after a few times of up and down in the pew. That familiar sensation, in no other place than church, gave me an overwhelming peace and excitement that there was a little life within me. A life that knew nothing of our circumstances. This life, yes life, was waiting to be welcomed and loved just like our other three blessings.

After a good tweny-four hours, the shock wore off and excitement set in for both of us. In our heart of hearts, we knew that no lifestyle or privileged circumstance was more important than new life. In a nutshell, we would move heaven and earth, all of our comforts, our lifestyle, our ideas and expectations to welcome and love this child into our family.

God is so good! I have no doubt that what we don't even know yet is how much this child will bless our lives; our finances, our lifestyle, our spirits, our faith...our family.

We are more and more excited and tickled silly about baby number four every day!

Thank you, Father, that your plan, once again, trumps our own. Thank you that you, who has begun a good work in our life, will carry it on to completion (Jer 29:11). Thank you that your plans for us far out-weigh the plans we create for ourselves, for your plans are to prosper us, to give us hope and a future (Phil 1:6). Thank you that your will for our life is good, pleasing and perfect (Rom 12:3). Above all, thank you that your eyes saw this precious child's unformed body before conception and that all the days ordained for this child have already been written in your book even before one of them will come to be (Psalm 139:16). We praise you because this child growing within was fearfully and wonderfully made. We know full well your works are wonderful (Psalm 139:15).

In your almight and blessed name, Amen.

10 comments:

  1. What a sweet post!

    Congrats on the new baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations...it may have been a surprise to you, but it was never a surprise to God. He has had this baby planned for you from the beginning of time. I am so happy for you.
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you! A precious little angel sent straight from God to you!

    My daughter and her husband are in the process of thinking about #4 also. Her oldest is almost 7 and her baby is 19 months. Love being a nana!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post with the perfect verses to accompany your annoucement of His plans to grow your precious family!
    Congratulations, Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! We were surprised, and very blessed, with our third son, and then God led us to adopt our beautiful baby girl- 4 is GREAT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's wonderful Theresa! SO hapy for you and your family. When we were talking about when to have our third, much to our surprise, I was already 12 weeks along! And after that, we still felt like someone was missing-4 have brought us so many blessings! Congratualtions!
    Julie Coon

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet post! Congratulations to you and your growing family!!! God is so, so good. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made me cry. :) You are an awesome Mommy and this child is so blessed to have you. I agree with the above comment - this little person is a suprise to you but God has had him/her tucked away for you and Rob since before time began... and He is tickled that you are so tickled by the surprise! Enjoy!!!
    Speaking of tickled: my favorite part of being prego is when that little one begins and than continues to kick and bump in the safety of my womb. Be tickled, my friend!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so happy for you that God has blessed you with another little child!

    I just gave birth a few months ago to our #4 who was a total surprise to us as well. During the early part of the pregnancy, I had such a strange mixture of emotions: so much joy and excitement but also nervousness about how I would handle another child (especially since our 3rd child was only 10 months old when we found out I was pregnant again). The joy grew and grew though, particularly as the thought of THE BABY became more and more real...and now that he's a part of our family, I CANNOT imagine life without him. Funny how the heart grows to include more little ones and pour out love on each one, you know? :)

    Blessings to you as you enjoy these special moments of holding your littlest one so close inside you!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for taking a moment to leave a comment!