Thursday, October 3, 2013

I Wouldn't Have the Patience: Reasons Why I'd Never Homeschool!

I want to spend the next few Fridays, on the blog, debunking a few myths about homeschooling from my new-found perspective. It will not be an exhaustive list. You can get that from a more experienced homeschool family. However, there are a few that stand out like a sore thumb to me, that I thought worth addressing.

"I wouldn't have the patience," is a common reason I hear from genuine mothers for why they could never homeschool. Well the truth is, they're right. And neither would I. Particularly in those stressful moments that have a tendency to well up nearly every. single. day. in the beginning, at least.

Yet, we're talking here about what we can and cannot do in our own strength. I do not have adequate patience on my own. Yet as a Christian, I have the ability to daily tap into the supernatural source of the Holy Spirit for what I need. Galatians tells us that the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control.

I've always heard that Homeschooling brings you to your knees. It does. If you want patience, then you'll bring yourself low and ask for it daily, hourly, or more, if necessary. And you will have difficult days. However, you'll begin to recognize that tightening in your chest just before you're about to lose your cool and you'll have a choice...will you rely on the Holy Spirit in that moment - to breathe, to gain perspective - or will you ignore it? Because everything in your stubborn nature will want to ignore it.

And you'll mess up and that's okay.

But you will learn how vital it is to be sensitive to the Spirit moment-by-moment, as a homeschooling mother. As a mother, you are already invested in that child more than anybody in this world. As a homeschooling mother, you are most likely already committed to the change and growth that it will require.

Homeschooling is one of the hardest things you will ever do because it changes you from the inside, when most often in life, that is the very thing we dodge.

But patience is a gift. It is not a given. It is not a one-time gift either. Its necessity is constant. But you can have the necessary patience. You simply need be willing to access it.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil 4:13
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23

Next week I'll address the statement, "I wouldn't be able to separate being a teacher with being the mom. "

I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments. Stay with me on this journey by joining Heavenly Glimpses Facebook page.

3 comments:

I love hearing from you. Thank you for taking a moment to leave a comment!