Thursday, March 13, 2014

Just When I Want More


Although my days with MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) are passed, I am honored to contribute in any small way I can to this vital ministry. Therefore, I'm sharing thoughts on Thursdays with our local chapter, on the Sheridan Morning MOPS blog, and sharing it here with you:

As soon as I get a glimmer of hope for setting some goals to pursue an interest, gift or passion, it seems I'm tossed in the throws of parenting deeper than ever. As I doggy paddle my way out of an all­consuming wave for a breath of sanity, I chide myself for even considering the pursuit of something more. As I attempt to carve that little bit of time out, I become divided and frustrated by anything that forces me out of that moment. 

I look at those mothers who seem to successfully juggle their pursuits while toting three, four and six children around and I wonder a little enviously, "how do you do it?" 

Do you ever look around at other women and wonder to yourself, “How do they do it?” 

I’ve found the simple answer to be this: their journey is not your journey. It does no good to compare because 1) you don’t have enough information about that person you’re comparing yourself to and 2) God is writing your story like no one elses, as you trust him. 

Yet don’t we still find ourselves on our tiptoes from time to time, peeking over the horizon, wondering,what next

Yet beautiful, longing and capable mamas, the thing facing you head on right now is your life – the parenting of these impressionable, mold­able, growing human hearts. This, God esteems higher than you can imagine on a day­to­day basis.This is your priority, an eternal work. And not just meeting basic needs, but planning, investing, engaging, discipling, training and persevering. 

Tomorrow will worry about itself. Be faithful to today. 

Because every gift – every opportunity that God gives to use for his purpose and glory will always birth from your faithfulness to this here, now, moment. 

Trust that. 

And never underestimate the eternal way he is using you in these moments with the lives he has entrusted you. 

We can't just have what we want when we want it because we don't truly know what is best for us. Because we don't have that grand, eternal perspective. And if we’re honest, because we really only want instant gratification. 

We have to walk this road, faithful to the journey our Creator has laid out for us, trusting in His ways, not our own. 

So yes, I too am guilty of wanting more than I have, at times. And I am going to work out some goals as God works out His plan in me. But like a lot of things I've learned to do in my life, I'll wait upon the Lord, faithful to this moment, because I know His ways and timing are perfect. 

And I'll remember how thankful I am for everything in my life that did not happen my way, in my timing,for the trade off of the abundance beyond measure that I have today. 

And I'll believe that His plans alone are to prosper me and not to harm me, to give me hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11) 

And just when I want more, I realize I have enough.
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens. Ecclesiastes 3:1 

Edited from the archives

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Thank you for taking a moment to leave a comment!