Friday, June 10, 2011

Five Minute Friday :: Backwards


I'm linking up with Lisa-Jo at The Gypsy Mama for Five Minute Friday with the writing prompt:

Backwards...


Go

I had one of those days yesterday. I woke up with good intentions then just felt blah all day. "My time" did not seem to fill me whatsoever. Nothing really went right...one of those days where I had a hard time being present to my children and then wondered if I am enough for them.

Not everyday, just one of those days.

I find that I put a lot of weight on my parenting. How I parent. How I can parent better. How to raise my children perfectly well. Teach them right from wrong. Protect them from harm. Save them from the evils of this world. 


I see an off day as a failure.

Today is a new day and His mercies are new every morning. I wake up and begin reading a book I just started, Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus.  I consider its premise - our primary focus for our children to "be good" is unable to save them and powerless to change them. Grace is what they need - and I think of myself.

In trying to do good - be good, I've got my thinking backwards. Because we are not good. We are born into sin. Only because of Christ and through Christ can we do anything good. 

When I feel I'm failing, maybe there is purpose in it.

My failing as a parent (in life) is meant to crush me (my confidence in self)--

and drive me to Christ,

and make me realize--

I need a Saviour...

and my children need one, too. 

That which is not me.

Stop

Now it's your turn. Give it your best five minutes!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I so, so relate to this post. Thank you. And these struggles do point us to Him. So thankful for His strength and grace. (I've heard about that book; I can't wait to read it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great book. I hadn't ever thought of my failures/struggles in parenting being used for the purpose of relying on Him more - I know it, but I hadn't ever reflected on it like this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God has been putting grace in front of me a lot lately and interestingly I've also been mulling over how to help my children understand their need for grace more than rules. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yes, grace. Grace, grace, grace. Thank you for your honesty...and the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SO true. The mom-guilt is purposed to ignite positive behavior changes in us. And we are empowered by Christ to make those changes. (And he gives grace for the things we cannot). Thanks for the encouraging reminder, and thanks for stopping by my blog earlier this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for taking a moment to leave a comment!