Wednesday, September 19, 2012

What Compromise in Marriage Really Means

I like percolated coffee. He likes it French pressed. I like mine with cream. He likes it black. We’re on the road with four children for two-and-a-half weeks pulling the weight of a camper and a collision of differences.


When camping, he likes the tasty blend brewed simply and quickly with the French Press. Yet, it tastes too instant and slightly bitter to me.

I’m willing to spend a little more time percolating the coffee for a more full bodied flavor.  He doesn’t taste the difference.

And we each think our own preference is the better of the two.

But we compromise. On mornings that we are staying through the day, we use the percolator and on mornings we are heading on the road, we use the French press.

And that is what we learn to do in marriage – compromise.

Yet, it’s easy to compromise over coffee. However, when circumstances leave one feeling attacked, under-appreciated, or de-valued, it can leave one defensive and scrambling. Learning to compromise in marriage can still leave one thinking better; one right. It can leave one proud and still bitter.


Continue reading HERE.

I'm honored to be over at Jen's place @ Finding Heaven today, launching her new marriage series! 

 Sharing with A Holy Experience, a Proverbs 31 Wife, the Alabaster Jar, the Unveiled Wife, Yes They're All Ours, What Joy is Mine, Just a Thought, Wise Woman, Works for me Wednesday, Women Living Well, Raising Mighty Arrows, Getting Down with Jesus,  To Love, Honor and Vacuum, Life in Bloom, Beholding Glory, Leaving a Legacy, Pieces of Amy, and Imperfect Prose.

3 comments:

  1. I followed the link to Finding Heaven and left my main comment there...but I wanted to post here what wonderful advice you gave. Blessings, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate that, Joan. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thank you for taking a moment to leave a comment!