Wednesday, May 27, 2009

God Has So Much More...



There is one school of thought that I have come across that offers the idea that everything we will ever need in life is within ourselves. What ever you want in life, imagine it, and you will receive it. I believe that to an extent. I do believe in positive thinking, as opposed to negative thinking. I do believe our thoughts are powerful and engineer an outcome. I do believe that if we believe we will achieve what we strive for, we will get there. However, I don't believe the power is within ourself alone. I don't believe that we can have anything that we imagine. And I don't believe that everything we imagine is everything we need to be fulfilled. This idea leaves out the need for divinity in our lives. God has so much more...

I was just thinking this morning how amazing Drew, eight-months-old, is! A year ago, at this time, I was imagining how life would be if our baby was a boy or if our baby was a girl. Both were pretty wonderful but, some of my pregnancy symptoms convinced me we were having a girl. And so, my imagination ran with it. I could not wait for Alexa to have a little playmate to play princess with, all the fun girl-outings the three of us would have, and she would look just a little bit more like me- finally, one that looked more like me than Rob!

We didn't have the same response when we opened the envelope in Corondo to see we were having a boy as we did in Cancun when we learned our second child would be a girl (Alexa). An obvious, guilt-ridden disappointment washed over us. Neither of us would admit it as we contemplated changing our entire thought-process back to the idea of a boy...two boys and a girl would be the sum of our children not, two girls and a boy. Naturally, it didn't take long before we were fully on board with the fact that I was carrying a boy and of course, we knew we would love him unconditionally and trusted that God knows what is best for our family...

OH-MY-GOOLOSH!!! (Don't know where goolosh came from but, hope it made you chuckle a tinge) Did he ever! I am amazed to tears by how much God's ideas and plans are so much better than I could have ever imagined my own to be. My ideas- the places my imagination takes me- are so unbelievably limited, so far from the joy that comes with God's ideas and plans for me. Drew is the most amazing little gift...more than we could have ever imagined, ever dared to ask for!

I refuse to limit the joys in my life to the capacity of my imagination.


"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him" 1 Cor. 2:9

1 comment:

I love hearing from you. Thank you for taking a moment to leave a comment!